Prysmian BICON Un-Insulated Copper Tube Terminals (1-800mm²) (BT Lugs) is a range of connectors suitable for voltages up to 6.6kV for use on copper and tin plated copper conductors with stranded or flexible annealed construction. Approvals: BS EN 61238 (2003) class A (including short circuit), BS 4579 Part 1, BS 7609 (2009) Code of practice for installation un-insulated connectors
Download PDF file for Technical Data (Cable Size and Connector Details – Butt Splices) and Crimp Die Reference Table. (Technical Data subject to change without notice.)
Prysmian BICON Copper Tube Terminals
- Prysmian BICON Un-Insulated Copper Tube Terminals are manufactured from high purity oxygen free copper which are then electro tin plated to prevent corrosion; this makes them suitable for operating temperatures up to 150°C.
- Each terminal includes a sight hole for visual inspection of the conductor inserted.
- The terminals can be installed with indent or hexagonal compression systems up to 400mm² on stranded conductor. Above 400mm² or on flexible conductors indent compression is required.
- Each die set imprints the size of stranded conductor onto the connector to show that the correct tooling has been applied.
- A wide selection of single stud holes and straight splices are provided and other configurations; two hole and four hole variants are available on request. All connectors are installed with a single crimp except where otherwise stated.
- Flexible conductors normally have a larger overall diameter than their stranded equivalents – meaning that flexible conductors often won’t fit into the correct size tube terminals. In this case we recommend using the next size up in the range combined with the Indent crimp dies.
- Prysmian BICON Un-Insulated Copper Tube Terminals and Splices and the associated Crimp Die reference tables can be seen in the attached PDF file.
The Range of BICON Copper Tube Terminals for either stranded or flexible annealed conductors. Each terminal includes a sight hole for visual inspection of the conductor inserted. The BICON Copper Tube Terminals can be installed with indent or hexagonal compressions systems up to 400mm² on stranded conductor. Above 400mm² or on flexible conductor indent compression is required. Each die set imprints the size of stranded conductor onto the connector to show that the correct tooling has been applied.
The indent method has been in use for many years and can be used on both flexible and stranded cables for underground joints and industrial applications. It consists of tooling, containing a nest and indentor die, which when compressed form the conductor strands into an almost solid mass that fuses with the wall of the terminal.
In recent years, there has been a growing demand for the hexagonal crimping system, based chiefly upon its simple design and the neat form of the finished crimp. The hexagonal method consists of tooling, containing two identical die halves, which compress the conductor strands with equal force from both sides, resulting in a six-sided profile.
A wide selection of single stud holes is provided in addition to specific two and four hole palm configurations. The range also includes terminals with blank palms for sizes 150mm² and above. Pin connections cover conductor sizes 10mm² – 35mm² and are installed with the same tooling as the equivalent terminal. The pins are square form with serrations to prevent sliding and twisting in the tunnel connection.
Prysmian BICON BT lugs
FREE Technical Advisory Service
E-Tech Components UK Ltd maintains a free technical advisory service.
Contact us for enquiries concerning this and all other products: +44 (0) 1744 762 929