Short Guide to Prysmian BICON Link Boxes
Link boxes are crucial in assisting the reduction of the number of power supply interruptions to businesses and households. That’s because they provide flexibility to the underground low voltage electricity supply network by enabling circuit switching to route around problems.
A link box does what it says on the tin – it’s installed in a pit beneath the pavement which contains a low voltage cable joint with a removable link. It’s this link that allows the low voltage circuit switching.
Low Voltage Distribution
In towns and cities, low voltage distribution cables connect through link boxes to form a network of LV cables leaving a local substation, usually as a series of a branched, open-ended radial cables. Under normal operation the links to adjacent substations in the network are removed.
However, should a fault or a power supply interruption occur in the local substation, for example, these links can be replaced to enable the surrounding substations to feed power to the distribution cables that would have normally been supplied from the faulty substation.
Similarly, removing the links enables easy isollation of the length of cable between two link boxes for repair, without the need to shut down the local LV network.
This feature is crucial to keep busy networks running!
The linkbox also has the facility to connect localised customers directly via a generator.
New Lightweight Link Boxes Features
In the past, almost all link boxes’ manufacturing was from cast iron making them heavy and difficult to install. Now, following discussions with utility engineers, Prysmian has launched its revolutionary Prysmian Bicon range of lightweight, easy to install, low voltage solutions.
- Modular pit walls, making it easy to increase the depth of the link box by inserting an additional wall section.
- Can joint directly onto polymeric and paper insulated LV distribution cables, eliminating the need for intermediate lengths of polymeric cables and straight/transition joints.
- Can joint onto a live network possible because all live parts are shrouded.
- Use universal LV mechanical connectors (or design can suit local jointing procedures).
- Have a reduced footprint making installation under congested pavements easier.
- Feature a strong, lightweight lid.
- In addition, pre-fitted factory tailed units are also available to speed up direct replacement installations.
The new range features Low Voltage 2- and 4-way Underground Tailed Disconnecting Box and a 2- and 4-way Underground Pre-cast Disconnecting Box.
Prysmian’s new link boxes will revolutionise the way distribution network operators go about their business. Viva la revolution!
|Prysmian BICON Low Voltage 4-way Underground Pre-Cast Link Disconnecting Box||Prysmian BICON All-in-one Underground Link Disconnecting Box||Prysmian BICON Metering Link Disconnect Box & Mini Pillar||Prysmian BICON Connector Blocks|
underground low voltage electricity supply network
FREE Technical Advisory Service
E-Tech Components UK Ltd maintains a free technical advisory service.
Contact us about any questions, enquiries or requests you may have: +44 (0) 1744 762 929